AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is the Eclipse an Import? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27709)

Bill 2 March 21st 05 08:40 PM

Is the Eclipse an Import?

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> There was a Mitsubi**** Eclipse commercial on TV just now that said
> the Eclipse has been the best-selling import sports coupe for the last
> 15 years.
>
> Gee, I thought Eclipses were made in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois...
> When did they start making them in Japan and importing them?

Not talking about place of assembly.

The Office Jet March 21st 05 11:27 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> There was a Mitsubi**** Eclipse commercial on TV just now that said
> the Eclipse has been the best-selling import sports coupe for the

last
> 15 years.
>
> Gee, I thought Eclipses were made in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois...
> When did they start making them in Japan and importing them?
>
> --
> Sloth Kills!
> http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

It's just like the Toyota that's built in Georgetown, KY. Most of the
Camry's come from there, I believe.

Andrew Tsen March 22nd 05 09:53 PM

Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
> There was a Mitsubi**** Eclipse commercial on TV just now that said
> the Eclipse has been the best-selling import sports coupe for the last
> 15 years.
>
> Gee, I thought Eclipses were made in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois...
> When did they start making them in Japan and importing them?

Maybe they are going ot bring back the Eagle Talons from the late 80s,
early 90s.

Ad absurdum per aspera March 23rd 05 05:25 PM

> Gee, I thought Eclipses were made in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois...
> When did they start making them in Japan and importing them?

I had an Eclipse when they first came out in the very late 80s. It was
considered a foreign car, and a sticker or data plate affixed to it
somewhere listed its port of entry as the bustling wharves of Normal,
Illinois.

The maker was then Diamond-Star Motors, a joint venture with Chrysler
(the Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon came out of the same factory).
Chrysler had already had various parts-supplying and badge-engineering
relationships with Mitsubishi going back into the late 70s. Then it
was solely Mitsubishi for a while. A few years ago Daimler Chrysler
bought into it again. It's now Mitsubishi Motors North America,
Manufacturing Division. See for instance
http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/comp..._division.html

Around the same time, if memory serves, newspapers reported that a Ford
Crown Victoria, the very picture of the traditional American sedan, had
something like 70% imported content, just under some threshold for
being considered a domestic. The point of the story being that the
nascent trend of globalization was introducing a lot of bureaucratic
arcana and outright weirdness into once intuitive distinctions like
foreign vs. domestic cars.

Cheers,
--Joe

Motorhead Lawyer March 23rd 05 05:40 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> There was a Mitsubi**** Eclipse commercial on TV just now that said
> the Eclipse has been the best-selling import sports coupe for the

last
> 15 years.
>
> Gee, I thought Eclipses were made in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois...
> When did they start making them in Japan and importing them?

Looks pretty obvious to me. If it wasn't an 'import', it would be
*way* behind the Mustang and Camaro(RIP) ...
--
C=2ER. Krieger
(Been there; done that)