AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   VW powered generator (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=321893)

[email protected] February 5th 09 04:42 PM

VW powered generator

I wonder how that would work out ?
Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
time ?

After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
that can power
the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
but not the
well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
missed that
running water and a shower.

The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
there were and
still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.

Randy

Bill[_3_] February 5th 09 05:27 PM

VW powered generator

Porsche had a version of its 356 motor (VW T1 based) that was called a
stationary powerplant and was used for purposes like yours. There
must have been a similar VW motor along the line somewhere. I think
that if the motor is dialed-in (mixture, timing, etc.) it can just
chug along for extended periods. The only question would be just how
much of a drag the generator would put on the motor.

Speedy Jim[_2_] February 5th 09 06:56 PM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

Not such a bad idea.

See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
just as an example.

Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
or the 12KW for 50 Amps.

Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).

Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.

VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.

Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=700422

LOL

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

[email protected] February 5th 09 09:15 PM

VW powered generator

On Feb 5, 12:56*pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Not such a bad idea.
>
> See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
> just as an example.
>
> Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
> That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
> or the 12KW for 50 Amps.
>
> Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
> adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).
>
> Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
> 2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
> run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.
>
> VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.
>
> Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
> Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=700422
>
> LOL
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

He's got some good stuff but I'm thinking I would definitly need an
electrition to hook all that up. I can barely work a light switch.

Rany

Speedy Jim[_2_] February 5th 09 10:18 PM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 12:56 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>> Not such a bad idea.
>>
>> See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
>> just as an example.
>>
>> Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
>> That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
>> or the 12KW for 50 Amps.
>>
>> Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
>> adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).
>>
>> Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
>> 2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
>> run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.
>>
>> VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.
>>
>> Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
>> Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=700422
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> He's got some good stuff but I'm thinking I would definitly need an
> electrition to hook all that up. I can barely work a light switch.
>
> Rany

Then you should be looking at one of the package units
maybe like the Honda:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

Now we're talking real money...

Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
a PTO from? That would shave the costs over a package.

Jim

[email protected] February 6th 09 12:21 AM

VW powered generator

On Feb 5, 4:18*pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Then you should be looking at one of the package units
> maybe like the Honda:http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html
>
> Now we're talking real money...
>
> Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
> a PTO from? *That would shave the costs over a package.
>
> Jim

I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
the
hours on my john deere. Thats the most expensive thing I own other
then
the house and farm.
Maybe I could put the goats and dogs on a big treadmill instead.

Randy

Speedy Jim[_2_] February 6th 09 01:11 AM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
>> Then you should be looking at one of the package units
>> maybe like the Honda:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

>> Now we're talking real money...
>>
>> Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
>> a PTO from? That would shave the costs over a package.
>>
>> Jim

> I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
> Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
> the
> hours on my john deere. Thats the most expensive thing I own other
> then
> the house and farm.
> Maybe I could put the goats and dogs on a big treadmill instead.
>
> Randy

Or the kitties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxtHEeRcOM

LOL

dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_] February 6th 09 01:17 AM

VW powered generator

I believe that VW used to produce some aircooled engines for industrial use
like maybe for generators. These engines were designed to run for long
periods of time but only at certain speeds.
I think that there was something unique with both the carb and the camshaft.
One of my places had a batch of them to sell but this was decades ago. It
might have been Topline here in Chicago if I was going to guess which place.
I would probably recommend a VW Rabbit Diesel engine in your case.

Groban supply, also in Chicago, should be able to set you up with different
size generator parts or complete generators. If you are lucky they might
have some army surplus units. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Michael Rogers February 6th 09 01:28 AM

VW powered generator

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>>
>>> Then you should be looking at one of the package units
>>> maybe like the Honda:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

>>> Now we're talking real money...

For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be done
with it all and count it off on you're taxes.

Michael

Speedy Jim[_2_] February 6th 09 01:53 AM

VW powered generator

Michael Rogers wrote:
> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> wrote:

http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

> For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be done
> with it all and count it off on you're taxes.
>
> Michael

Holy Crap!
I had no idea. That's a great welder/genset.
Kohler or Onan engine too.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...AT-225-/Detail
for 10KW

I like the idea to expense it as a necessary "tool" :)

Jim

John J[_3_] February 6th 09 02:12 AM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?

It works just fine! The VW engine came in a utility configuration for
driving generators, pumps, you name it!

In fact that POS Bosch 009 distributor was intended for utility engines,
and not street use.

Michael Rogers February 6th 09 12:38 PM

VW powered generator

>> For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be
>> done
>> with it all and count it off on you're taxes.
>>
>> Michael

> Holy Crap!
> I had no idea. That's a great welder/genset.
> Kohler or Onan engine too.
> http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...AT-225-/Detail
> for 10KW
>
> I like the idea to expense it as a necessary "tool" :)

Mo than one way to "skin a cat." :)

Michael

[email protected][_1_] February 6th 09 12:51 PM

VW powered generator

On Feb 6, 4:38�am, "Michael Rogers" > wrote:
> >> For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be
> >> done
> >> with it all and count it off on you're taxes.

> >> Michael

> > Holy Crap!
> > I had no idea. �That's a great welder/genset.
> > Kohler or Onan engine too.
> >http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...MILLER-BOBCAT-...
> > for 10KW

> > I like the idea to expense it as a necessary "tool" :)

> Mo than one way to "skin a cat." :)
>
> Michael

A diesel rabbit engine would be the ideal power for a generator , But
I too like the welder aspect.

John J[_3_] February 6th 09 01:29 PM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
> Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
> the
> hours on my john deere.

Will have to find the picture of the PTO I had on a 1956 Harley-Davidson.

[email protected] February 6th 09 02:04 PM

VW powered generator

On Feb 5, 7:28*pm, "Michael Rogers" > wrote:

> For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be done
> with it all and count it off on you're taxes.
>
> Michael

Actually on a farm I can write off any generator as an expense.
I gets to write off all sorts of good stuff as expenses.....

Randy

John J[_3_] February 6th 09 05:44 PM

VW powered generator

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 7:28 pm, "Michael Rogers" > wrote:
>> For $3,000.00 ya can get a Miller Bobcat welder with 8kw in it and be done
>> with it all and count it off on you're taxes.
>>
>> Michael

> Actually on a farm I can write off any generator as an expense.

Man, I'm gonna start a generator farm.

P.J.Berg[_3_] February 6th 09 07:39 PM

VW powered generator

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:29:07 +0100, John J > wrote:

> wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

>> I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
>> Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
>> the
>> hours on my john deere.

> Will have to find the picture of the PTO I had on a 1956 Harley-Davidson.

I have seen a couple of the original VW Industrial engines as fire pump units, complete with magneto ignition. Comes a a very small trailer.
I also think I vaguely remember seeing an original VW Generator setup, the one thing I have never seen in the flesh are the VW Air compressors.
And yes, I know some where based on the Porsche 356 engine.
J.

http://www.opera.com/mail/

[email protected] February 6th 09 08:02 PM

VW powered generator

It would work great. They were very popular a few years ago. As a matter of
fact the 009 Distributor was designed specifically for industrial
applications with constant speed engines. 30 or 40 HP and <3000 RPM at 200
lbs is a pretty good power plant.

Jim

dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_] February 6th 09 08:10 PM

VW powered generator

http://www.vw-industrial-engines.com....php?id=18&L=1

http://www.mi-uk.com/vw-history/
Volkswagen A.G. first began selling engines for industrial applications in
Germany in 1952. They began with the air-cooled boxer engines which were
used successfully in the following industries: Agriculture, Forestry,
Mining, Marine, Ground Handling, Municipal, Fire-fighting, Construction,
Military, Leisure, Power generation, communications...the list goes on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa..._cooled_engine
In 1967-68, portable sawmill maker, Mighty Mite of Portland, OR., used VW
gasoline engines to power the circular saw blades of light sawmills. Later
as the US market for VW Beetles declined, the sawmill was modified for other
power.

http://www.opera.com/mail/

Speedy Jim[_2_] February 6th 09 08:15 PM

VW powered generator

P.J.Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:29:07 +0100, John J > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

>>> I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
>>> Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
>>> the
>>> hours on my john deere.

>> Will have to find the picture of the PTO I had on a 1956 Harley-Davidson.

> I have seen a couple of the original VW Industrial engines as fire pump
> units, complete with magneto ignition. Comes a a very small trailer.
> I also think I vaguely remember seeing an original VW Generator setup,
> the one thing I have never seen in the flesh are the VW Air compressors.
> And yes, I know some where based on the Porsche 356 engine.
> J.

Bet you never saw one o' these:
http://www.ringsurf.com/ring_browser.php?id=132227
scroll to bottom of page.

Jim

Erik Dillenkofer[_2_] February 6th 09 10:53 PM

VW powered generator

In 1980 I worked for the Univ of Florida at their research station in Ft
Pierce, Florida. We had a citrus tree sprayer (trailer drawn blower) that
was powered by ... a VW engine.

John[_28_] February 7th 09 07:13 AM

VW powered generator

We,d have a wide use for something down here in Aust. Upper half of East
Coast (Queeensland) is under flood water and bottom half ( New
SouthWales/Victoria) is dry and up to 120DegF!. Air Con in the south and
water pumping in the North.
John

dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_] February 7th 09 12:01 PM

VW powered generator

Take care down under!
I have just heard about the fires breaking out due to the record breaking
heatwave.

later,
One out of many daves

John[_28_] February 8th 09 01:56 AM

VW powered generator

Thanks, We are about 50 miles north of Sydney and 10 miles as the crow
flies from nearest fire but down Victoria entire towns/villages have ceased
to exist. More than a suspicion that a lot of the fires have been
deliberately lit making it worse. Bizarre when you look at Queensland(
north) and its up to 3 metres underwater.!

Bob Hoover February 8th 09 02:06 AM

VW powered generator

On Feb 5, 8:42*am, wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?

Works good.
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?

Yes.

In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

If you're serious about an auxiliary power system you'll probably end
up using PROPANE. It can be stored for years without any problems.
Kits to convert most engines -- including VW's -- are available. In
seriously cold climates you generally have two tanks of fuel, a small
one that is kept above freezing and your big tank, which may hold 2000
gallons or more. That's because propane has a lot less energy than
gasoline; you'll have to burn more of it to get the same amount of
electricity. Once the engine is started with the 'warm' tank, the
exhaust from the engine is fed to the insulated cover over the big
tank, raising the temperature. (Why? Because propane needs quite a
bit of heat to change from a liquid to a gas.) Also, you will have a
'vaporizor' on the engine. Most of these are designed for water-
cooled engines; water from the head is fed through the vaporizor.
With a VW you generally use the ENGINE OIL as your source of
vaporization heat.

But yes, using a VW as an auxiliary power plant is a pretty smart
idea. Unlike most other systems, it doesn't have anything to
FREEZE :-)

-Bob Hoover

Jan Andersson[_4_] February 8th 09 03:12 PM

VW powered generator

Bob Hoover wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:42 am, wrote:
>> I wonder how that would work out ?

> Works good.
>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>> time ?

> Yes.
>
> In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
> is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
> you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
> fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
> doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
> being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
> more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

That's american fuel. LOL.
Fuel in Europe stays good for MUCH longer. You can park a car for a year
or two, and come back and fire it up like nothing. Lawnmowers,
chainsaws, etc. usually hibernate for over 6 months, and nobody I know
ever replaces the fuel in the beginning of the season. They start right
up with whatever is in the tank.

American gasoline smells different too. And when it gets old, it gets
that varnish smell to it and turns yellow. That doesn't happen in Finland..

Jan

P.J.Berg[_3_] February 8th 09 06:39 PM

VW powered generator

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:12:30 +0100, Jan Andersson > wrote:

> Bob Hoover wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 8:42 am, wrote:
>>> I wonder how that would work out ?

>> Works good.
>>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>>> time ?

>> Yes.
>> In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
>> is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
>> you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
>> fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
>> doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
>> being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
>> more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

> That's american fuel. LOL.
> Fuel in Europe stays good for MUCH longer. You can park a car for a year
> or two, and come back and fire it up like nothing. Lawnmowers,
> chainsaws, etc. usually hibernate for over 6 months, and nobody I know
> ever replaces the fuel in the beginning of the season. They start right
> up with whatever is in the tank.
>
> American gasoline smells different too. And when it gets old, it gets
> that varnish smell to it and turns yellow. That doesn't happen in
> Finland..
>
> Jan

It has been like the Yank fuel in Norway for some time now. That being said, it last a lot longer than the fuel companies 3 month warranty.

J.

[email protected] February 10th 15 03:12 PM

VW powered generator

On Thursday, 5 February 2009 16:42:09 UTC, wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

A Volkswagon 'beetle' engine generator set was recently bought by Drew Pritchard in the 'Salvage Hunters TV series (on Quest TV in UK) Drew bought it as he thought it was a genuine VW built bit of kit. Not so sure though, I think it was something 'made up' using a car engine. It was not running & from memory he paid about £300 for it. His wife was not taken with it when he got it back to his antiques emporium.

Robert Smits February 28th 15 05:19 PM

VW powered generator

wrote:

> On Thursday, 5 February 2009 16:42:09 UTC, wrote:
>> I wonder how that would work out ?
>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>> time ?
>>
>> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
>> that can power
>> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
>> but not the
>> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
>> missed that
>> running water and a shower.
>>
>> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
>> there were and
>> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>>
>> Randy

> A Volkswagon 'beetle' engine generator set was recently bought by Drew
> Pritchard in the 'Salvage Hunters TV series (on Quest TV in UK) Drew
> bought it as he thought it was a genuine VW built bit of kit. Not so sure
> though, I think it was something 'made up' using a car engine. It was not
> running & from memory he paid about £300 for it. His wife was not taken
> with it when he got it back to his antiques emporium.

I remember when these were for sale...not made by Volkswagen, but they were
air-cooled of course, so you didn't have to worry about the coolant
freezing.