AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   '96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=53136)

[email protected] January 4th 06 09:43 PM

'96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and
harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it
will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting worse
and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have a
worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing. Any
suggestions?

My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper on
the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into the
top of it. What is this thing?

TNKEV January 5th 06 12:22 AM

wrote:
> I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and
> harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it
> will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting

worse
> and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have

> worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing.

Any
> suggestions?

I would replace the key lock cylinder,your local dealer should be able
to get one for you
and rekey it to work with your key.

> My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper

on
> the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into

the
> top of it. What is this thing?

evaporative system purge cannister.

--

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=rftg
B-N-Ps, no B no Ps,no spam, trades,post,chat

maxpower January 5th 06 01:24 AM

'96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and
> harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it
> will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting worse
> and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have a
> worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing. Any
> suggestions?
>
> My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper on
> the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into the
> top of it. What is this thing?

Did you try to spray penetrating oil into it?

Delbe Comeau January 9th 06 07:51 PM

'96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

I had same problem with 96 neon . I sprayed light oil in the lock and blew
it out with compressed air . I believe the lock wasn't working because it
collects dirt over time . It works for me now!