AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A6 problem with warm start (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=137549)

helendawnw April 3rd 07 08:28 AM

A6 problem with warm start

Hi, I’ve been having problem with the A6, 2003 model.

It run well when its going and starts up first time when its cold but
when the engine is still warm it takes a while. I’ve read a few post
and it appears to be a reasonably common fault.

Has anyone got it fixed or found out exactly what the fault is?

However, strangely enough I took the car into Lincoln, Audi and it
appeared that they’d never seen this type of fault before. They have
even told me I could need a new pump, which they say will be just
under 2 grand!!!!

I can only think thats incorrect as the car runs so well once its
started.

All suggections and advice would be great! :)

Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/A6-problem...ict210715.html

TonyJ April 5th 07 12:32 AM

A6 problem with warm start

Try to pull the codes but my guess would be:

- The engine temperature sensor needs to be replaced - $20 and easy to do.

- dirty injectors - run a bottle of Techrom injector cleaner in a tank or two.

Find another dealer fast or, better yet find an independent with a good
reputation with the locals.

Bloomsburg April 9th 07 03:43 AM

A6 problem with warm start

On Apr 4, 6:32 pm, TonyJ > wrote:
> Try to pull the codes but my guess would be:
>
> - The engine temperature sensor needs to be replaced - $20 and easy to do.
>
> - dirty injectors - run a bottle of Techrom injector cleaner in a tank or two.
>
> Find another dealer fast or, better yet find an independent with a good
> reputation with the locals.
>

> helendawnw wrote:
> > Hi, I've been having problem with the A6, 2003 model.

> > It run well when its going and starts up first time when its cold but
> > when the engine is still warm it takes a while. I've read a few post
> > and it appears to be a reasonably common fault.

> > Has anyone got it fixed or found out exactly what the fault is?

> > However, strangely enough I took the car into Lincoln, Audi and it
> > appeared that they'd never seen this type of fault before. They have
> > even told me I could need a new pump, which they say will be just
> > under 2 grand!!!!

> > I can only think thats incorrect as the car runs so well once its
> > started.

> > All suggections and advice would be great! :)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, TJ:

I have not tried injector cleaner yet, so I cant tell if it will work!

But I had a chat the other day with one of buddy who used to drive a
VW Passat(suppose VW and Audi is the same maker), he had the same
problem with starting, he said he had to change 2 fuel pumps to fix
the problem. He also mentioned that change a pump is easy, its located
in the trunk, just lift the floor mat you can c it. but I havent check
it yet since I was on a trip just came back to town, will do tomorrow
and let you know

TonyJ April 9th 07 04:36 AM

A6 problem with warm start

Bloomsburg wrote:
> On Apr 4, 6:32 pm, TonyJ > wrote:
>
>>Try to pull the codes but my guess would be:
>>
>>- The engine temperature sensor needs to be replaced - $20 and easy to do.
>>
>>- dirty injectors - run a bottle of Techrom injector cleaner in a tank or two.
>>
>>Find another dealer fast or, better yet find an independent with a good
>>reputation with the locals.
>>

>>helendawnw wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I've been having problem with the A6, 2003 model.

>>>It run well when its going and starts up first time when its cold but
>>>when the engine is still warm it takes a while. I've read a few post
>>>and it appears to be a reasonably common fault.

>>>Has anyone got it fixed or found out exactly what the fault is?

>>>However, strangely enough I took the car into Lincoln, Audi and it
>>>appeared that they'd never seen this type of fault before. They have
>>>even told me I could need a new pump, which they say will be just
>>>under 2 grand!!!!

>>>I can only think thats incorrect as the car runs so well once its
>>>started.

>>>All suggections and advice would be great! :)- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, TJ:
>
> I have not tried injector cleaner yet, so I cant tell if it will work!
>
> But I had a chat the other day with one of buddy who used to drive a
> VW Passat(suppose VW and Audi is the same maker), he had the same
> problem with starting, he said he had to change 2 fuel pumps to fix
> the problem. He also mentioned that change a pump is easy, its located
> in the trunk, just lift the floor mat you can c it. but I havent check
> it yet since I was on a trip just came back to town, will do tomorrow
> and let you know

A possible clue that you have a problem with the fuel pump and/or fuel filter is
hearing a buzzing sound near the back and under the car.

Bloomsburg April 13th 07 06:30 PM

A6 problem with warm start

On Apr 8, 10:36 pm, TonyJ > wrote:
> Bloomsburg wrote:
> > On Apr 4, 6:32 pm, TonyJ > wrote:

> >>Try to pull the codes but my guess would be:

> >>- The engine temperature sensor needs to be replaced - $20 and easy to do.

> >>- dirty injectors - run a bottle of Techrom injector cleaner in a tank or two.

> >>Find another dealer fast or, better yet find an independent with a good
> >>reputation with the locals.

> > Thanks, TJ:

> > I have not tried injector cleaner yet, so I cant tell if it will work!

> > But I had a chat the other day with one of buddy who used to drive a
> > VW Passat(suppose VW and Audi is the same maker), he had the same
> > problem with starting, he said he had to change 2 fuel pumps to fix
> > the problem. He also mentioned that change a pump is easy, its located
> > in the trunk, just lift the floor mat you can c it. but I havent check
> > it yet since I was on a trip just came back to town, will do tomorrow
> > and let you know

> A possible clue that you have a problem with the fuel pump and/or fuel filter is
> hearing a buzzing sound near the back and under the car.- Hide quoted text -

Went to change my 4 tires the other day and asked the garage to check
the starting problem on my A6/99. He came out with a fault code P0116,
which is Coolant Temp. Sensor out of range. He said it will cost about
$135 to change it. I looked on line for the part, the price is about
$22 on some of the website. I had thought to change it myself and then
realized its too difficult a project for me. Beside even if I can do
it myself, I still need to erase the fault code. So I had it changed
this morning at the garage, the suprise is, it only cost me $79. May
be the service man is too smart to read a customer's mind. Give out
high qoute but keep final price low alway makes customer smile and
come back.