AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Serious clutch mystery - any E28 experts out there? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=44760)

Steve W October 1st 05 04:57 PM

Serious clutch mystery - any E28 experts out there?

Hi guys. I hope some of you can help me solve this problem - I have a
mystery rogue clutch master cylinder on my 87 E28 520i. The design and
fitting is totally unlike what should be there, at least according to my
local BMW dealer. The cylinder is FAG Part No S5392A. Now I need to repair
or replace this cylinder, and I have no idea where or how to get a
replacement........!

See my note below, which I posted a few days ago.

"I have to change my Clutch MC, and according to both Haynes and my local
part provider, the one that is in the car is all wrong. It has a 2 hole
mounting flange set at right angles to the axis of the cylinder and bolts to
the face of the bulkhead. Whereas Haynes indicates that it should have a
flange face parallel to the axis of the cylinder and bolt to a plate next to
the clutch pedal. Did they change the design in the last year of E28?? What
is going on?"

Steve

Misterbeets October 1st 05 11:40 PM

Can the other style be fitted?

Tank_slapper October 2nd 05 01:33 AM

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:57:04 GMT, "Steve W"
> wrote:

>Hi guys. I hope some of you can help me solve this problem - I have a
>mystery rogue clutch master cylinder on my 87 E28 520i. The design and
>fitting is totally unlike what should be there, at least according to my
>local BMW dealer. The cylinder is FAG Part No S5392A. Now I need to repair
>or replace this cylinder, and I have no idea where or how to get a
>replacement........!
>
>See my note below, which I posted a few days ago.
>
>"I have to change my Clutch MC, and according to both Haynes and my local
>part provider, the one that is in the car is all wrong. It has a 2 hole
>mounting flange set at right angles to the axis of the cylinder and bolts to
>the face of the bulkhead. Whereas Haynes indicates that it should have a
>flange face parallel to the axis of the cylinder and bolt to a plate next to
>the clutch pedal. Did they change the design in the last year of E28?? What
>is going on?"
>
>Steve

If you'd like to email me your registration number, I can run it
though the unipart parts list and see what it spits out.

tank_slappa at hotyellowmail.com

Remove the colour ;-)

tank_slapper October 2nd 05 01:35 AM

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:33:53 +0100, Tank_slapper
> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:57:04 GMT, "Steve W"
> wrote:
>
>>Hi guys. I hope some of you can help me solve this problem - I have a
>>mystery rogue clutch master cylinder on my 87 E28 520i. The design and
>>fitting is totally unlike what should be there, at least according to my
>>local BMW dealer. The cylinder is FAG Part No S5392A. Now I need to repair
>>or replace this cylinder, and I have no idea where or how to get a
>>replacement........!
>>
>>See my note below, which I posted a few days ago.
>>
>>"I have to change my Clutch MC, and according to both Haynes and my local
>>part provider, the one that is in the car is all wrong. It has a 2 hole
>>mounting flange set at right angles to the axis of the cylinder and bolts to
>>the face of the bulkhead. Whereas Haynes indicates that it should have a
>>flange face parallel to the axis of the cylinder and bolt to a plate next to
>>the clutch pedal. Did they change the design in the last year of E28?? What
>>is going on?"
>>
>>Steve

>If you'd like to email me your registration number, I can run it
>though the unipart parts list and see what it spits out.
>
>tank_slappa at hotyellowmail.com
>
>Remove the colour ;-)

Ooops, i mean tank_slapper (with er, not an a!)

Steve W October 2nd 05 09:16 AM

Thanks TS. Have replied offline.
Steve

Steve W October 2nd 05 09:17 AM

Thanks TS. I have emailed offline.

[email protected] September 18th 14 09:37 AM

Serious clutch mystery - any E28 experts out there?

I have the same problem with my e28, how did you solve it?
Will a repair kit work as well?
According to the chassis number the master cylinder that came up is too short

Scott Dorsey September 18th 14 09:30 PM

Serious clutch mystery - any E28 experts out there?

> wrote:
>I have the same problem with my e28, how did you solve it?

What problem is that? I can't tell what you're referring to because your
references are all screwed up and you don't include any of the original post
which is many years old.

>Will a repair kit work as well?
>According to the chassis number the master cylinder that came up is too short

Are you referring to my issue with air getting into the system in some
mysterious way in cold weather? I never did figure out what was going on
but it's possible it might have to do with overextension of the master
cylinder. We'll find out this winter. The last two winters I just decided
to leave it in the driveway and take another car on cold days.
--scott

Jeff Strickland[_2_] September 19th 14 05:41 PM

Serious clutch mystery - any E28 experts out there?

> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with my e28, how did you solve it?
> Will a repair kit work as well?
> According to the chassis number the master cylinder that came up is too
> short

Same problem? What problem is the same?

Use www.realoem.com or www.penskeparts.com to find all of the factory
original parts used to build your car. You can source the parts you want
someplace else, or you can take the parts page with you to your local BMW
dealership and get them to price match. Realoem and PenskeParts are not your
typical online El Cheapo sellers, and I've found that most dealerships will
give you the prices shown. Not all, and not all of the time, but you will
always get real factory parts and sometimes it's worth the money to do the
job once instead of over and over.