AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   HELP PLEASE!!! 87 Jetta ignition switch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=34124)

cjsharp May 29th 05 12:42 AM

HELP PLEASE!!! 87 Jetta ignition switch

I am trying to replace the ignition switch on my '87 Jetta. I have
already taken the steering wheel, switch cluster, and I managed to get
the lock cylinder out as well. Now, I am supposed to remove the
retaining screw for the switch to remove it. However, this screw seems
to be in the housing that holds the lock cylinder and switch to the
steering column. I thought that I may need to remove that housing, but
I am unsuccessful in doing so...Would someone PLEASE give me some
insight on how to replace the ignition switch????

--
cjsharp
cjsharp's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=1712

Rex B July 6th 05 04:08 PM

It's been a while, but I think I had to drill out a special bolt.
Then after all that I discovered I could have removed the switch portion
separately without doing as much disassembly.
I don't have a manual here, but that's what you need.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX