AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rfactor will not run... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=42767)

Sting32 September 7th 05 02:50 AM

Rfactor will not run...

Dilemma,

Installed (duh prepaid through link at the website) before reading it would
been easier after I downloaded the game... well that was a week ago, I had
a couple minutes to give it a try, hoped the key would be there when install
was done downloading... nope it shows up later like the next day.

but I snuck in the next night to the computer (I was supposed to be helping
with chores ya know...)

anyway Installed now that I had the key in the mail...Install does go, it
launches, installs all good and all, pops up the code page, I give it the
code, launch the config as is all done by default , looks like good to go
and it launches ready to run but bammo, windows firewall tries to block it,
I try to click allow... but (maybe) not in time, the big usual RFACTOR full
screen pops up, & that is all she wrote folks, so knowing (read that as
assuming) I had missed the allow button, and I couldn't get out, I reboot
(hard power button) goto firewall settings I see 2 entries for rFactor. I
delete them both and stand ready to allow them... click rFactor icon,
little screen comes up, that is all she wrote... nothing, I'd give up but
now I'm ****ed, what is up with this game. uninstall re-install still never
asked for new key locks tighter than ****. (** I have to admit I uncertain
about the actual chain of events of course, of when code is entered, just
seems it was finally ready to let me play.... that was a week ago tomorrow,
BTW. but it was and apparently accepted? SOL, because I cannot duplicate
any of this, it refuses to run) even after removing and reinstalling, just
plain ass locks up full screen (black with image space shoeing?)

damn, demo worked, I have GTLegends working fine (if I don't launch rfactor
1st that is, if I do I dont get my system back, ever!!! (100% processor, no
drive activity to speak of.)

any help to be had or ideas from you guys here at RAS?

Thanks

Alan Bernardo September 7th 05 03:02 AM

Why didn't you just turn off Windows' firewall for the time being, instead
of deleting the instances of rFactor in the settings?

You have tried disabling the firewall and then seeing if it works? Also, if
you have to uninstall, you'll probably need a new key, possibly (I think
you're allowed three). But maybe after uninstalling run a registry cleaner
and delete all references to rFactor. Make sure, also, that the rFactor
directory is completely deleted after uninstalling. Check everywhere for
instances of rFactor which may appear on your hard drive.

Above all, disable that firewall for the time being. Software firewalls are
one big pain and I avoid them at all costs, seeing that oftentimes they do
more harm than good.

I would certainly contact rFactor support and explain all this to them.
They seem to be pretty good in providing the needed support.

Alanb

R Keating September 7th 05 03:07 AM

Sting32 wrote:
> anyway Installed now that I had the key in the mail...Install does go, it
> launches, installs all good and all, pops up the code page, I give it the
> code, launch the config as is all done by default , looks like good to go
> and it launches ready to run but bammo, windows firewall tries to block it,
> I try to click allow... but (maybe) not in time, the big usual RFACTOR full
> screen pops up, & that is all she wrote folks, so knowing (read that as
> assuming) I had missed the allow button, and I couldn't get out, I reboot
> (hard power button) goto firewall settings I see 2 entries for rFactor. I
> delete them both and stand ready to allow them... click rFactor icon,
> little screen comes up, that is all she wrote... nothing, I'd give up but
> now I'm ****ed, what is up with this game. uninstall re-install still never
> asked for new key locks tighter than ...

My guess would be that the firewall is still interfering. Maybe try
temporarily disabling the fire wall and running rFactor.

Sting32 September 7th 05 06:13 AM

Alan,

Please (ha) forgive me, never shared the gaming PC with the family, usually
I have my pc everyon else has one other... the good old days...

anywho, I tried it without firewall on also in there somewhere... Not sure,
but then it was a week until tonght I got to play with all of this again...
after betterhalf discovered porn popping up as she helped him goto
Yahooligans (just wasnt right)... so of course 1st oder of business it to
get the think blocking correctly, then get to play with the games... I cant
keep shooting myself in the foot is all... I just dont have the time
(laugh, {please}).

since I was afraid to undo the locking down proeceedure, I guess a good reg
cleaner would be nice...

Praxiteles Democritus September 7th 05 06:25 AM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:50:15 GMT, "Sting32" > wrote:

>Dilemma,

>any help to be had or ideas from you guys here at RAS?
>
>Thanks

Here's how to stop rFactor from accessing the internet. Open your
xxx.plr file and change to this: Disable NetComm="1" // If 1, network
features are disabled. But I guess you don't have a xxx.plr file yet
as you haven't set up a user.

Delete this in the registry so you can enter your code again.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems]

John Smith September 7th 05 12:30 PM

"Praxiteles Democritus" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:50:15 GMT, "Sting32" > wrote:
>
>>Dilemma,

>>any help to be had or ideas from you guys here at RAS?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> Here's how to stop rFactor from accessing the internet. Open your
> xxx.plr file and change to this: Disable NetComm="1" // If 1, network
> features are disabled. But I guess you don't have a xxx.plr file yet
> as you haven't set up a user.
>
> Delete this in the registry so you can enter your code again.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems]

This game has way too many bugs in it to be released or even have an asking
price of 40.00 bucks.

Steve Whitty September 7th 05 12:45 PM

"John Smith" > wrote in message

> "Praxiteles Democritus" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:50:15 GMT, "Sting32" > wrote:
>>
>>>Dilemma,

>>>any help to be had or ideas from you guys here at RAS?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>> Here's how to stop rFactor from accessing the internet. Open your
>> xxx.plr file and change to this: Disable NetComm="1" // If 1, network
>> features are disabled. But I guess you don't have a xxx.plr file yet
>> as you haven't set up a user.
>>
>> Delete this in the registry so you can enter your code again.
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems]

> This game has way too many bugs in it to be released or even have an
> asking price of 40.00 bucks.

and we didn't get people asking how to get gpl, n2k2,n2k3 etc, etc, etc
running properly. didn't get complaints about ai in other games. didn't
get people asking how to get their controllers working in gtr. haven't had
anyone ask how to get fps increase in any prior games. we haven't had
people getting ctd with other games. show me one game that has been
released where there haven't been issues!

the game ain't perfect. big difference is the devs are in the forums,
listening, watching and offering assistance.

cheers

steve

David G Fisher September 7th 05 12:55 PM

"Steve Whitty" > wrote in message

> "John Smith" > wrote in message

>>> Here's how to stop rFactor from accessing the internet. Open your
>>> xxx.plr file and change to this: Disable NetComm="1" // If 1, network
>>> features are disabled. But I guess you don't have a xxx.plr file yet
>>> as you haven't set up a user.
>>>
>>> Delete this in the registry so you can enter your code again.
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems]

>> This game has way too many bugs in it to be released or even have an
>> asking price of 40.00 bucks.

> and we didn't get people asking how to get gpl, n2k2,n2k3 etc, etc, etc
> running properly. didn't get complaints about ai in other games. didn't
> get people asking how to get their controllers working in gtr. haven't had
> anyone ask how to get fps increase in any prior games. we haven't had
> people getting ctd with other games. show me one game that has been
> released where there haven't been issues!
>
> the game ain't perfect. big difference is the devs are in the forums,
> listening, watching and offering assistance.
>

> cheers
>
> steve

They're even here in ras too.

--
David G Fisher

PlowBoy September 7th 05 01:50 PM

Praxiteles,

There's a start and thanks. hopefully I can try something by this weekend.
I get my information by reading here and RSC, and I havent read anything
that is shedding light on this but I posted at midnight my time. Can anyone
shed light on what are the events that are taking place when I click the
rfactor icon (when installed)? is it crashing trying to do intro's? is it
supposed to check in with a website for key validation, updates, or what?
havent seen anything act like this before on a machine that is game ready
(hardware wise) but I recall back when some games crashed trying to view
intro type vids and or sounds..

Thanks

Praxiteles Democritus enlightened us with:

R Keating September 7th 05 03:34 PM

Sting32 wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Please (ha) forgive me, never shared the gaming PC with the family, usually
> I have my pc everyon else has one other... the good old days...
>
> anywho, I tried it without firewall on also in there somewhere... Not sure,
> but then it was a week until tonght I got to play with all of this again...
> after betterhalf discovered porn popping up as she helped him goto
> Yahooligans (just wasnt right)... so of course 1st oder of business it to
> get the think blocking correctly, then get to play with the games... I cant
> keep shooting myself in the foot is all... I just dont have the time
> (laugh, {please}).
>
> since I was afraid to undo the locking down proeceedure, I guess a good reg
> cleaner would be nice...

You don't need a reg cleaner, you need to clean up the spyware and check
for viruses.

For cleaning spyware, here are 2 free programs that are always
recommend. There are easy to work with.

AdAware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

You should also check for viruses. I am not familiar with the free
programs, someone else will probably suggest one.

Your system needs to be clean to at least give rFactor a chance to run.

Good luck,
Russell