AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Turbo Parallel Hybrid, Li-ion Capacitor (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=44121)

[email protected] September 23rd 05 08:56 AM

Turbo Parallel Hybrid, Li-ion Capacitor

I was trying to get a better perspective on 2 technologies mentioned in
this article:

http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=2028

Firstly it mentions Turbo Parallel Hybrid, and nextly it mentions
Lithium-ion capacitor.

Sorry to be dense, but I had a little trouble understanding what they
wrote.
What exactly is the Miller Cycle used by this engine setup? I know what
the Otto Cycle and Diesel cycle are, but I've never heard of the Miller
cycle. I don't understand where it's pulling the extra efficiency out
of. Sounds like it's relying upon a crutch like an electric motor to
take care of low-velocity, like other hybrid-electrics, but I still
don't understand how it's different/better.

Nextly, I know what Lithium-ion batteries are, and I've read about
supercapacitors. But I'm unsure of what Li-ion capacitors are, or how
they achieve better energy density while maintaining rapid
charge/discharge.

Anyone care to enlighten?

Damon Hill September 23rd 05 10:01 AM

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I was trying to get a better perspective on 2 technologies mentioned in
> this article:
>
> http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=2028
>
> Firstly it mentions Turbo Parallel Hybrid, and nextly it mentions
> Lithium-ion capacitor.
>
> Sorry to be dense, but I had a little trouble understanding what they
> wrote.
> What exactly is the Miller Cycle used by this engine setup? I know what
> the Otto Cycle and Diesel cycle are, but I've never heard of the Miller
> cycle. I don't understand where it's pulling the extra efficiency out
> of. Sounds like it's relying upon a crutch like an electric motor to
> take care of low-velocity, like other hybrid-electrics, but I still
> don't understand how it's different/better.

Got a problem with Google? I got a number of hits explaining how
the Miller cycle works. (Why should I make this easy for him, eh?)

> Nextly, I know what Lithium-ion batteries are, and I've read about
> supercapacitors. But I'm unsure of what Li-ion capacitors are, or how
> they achieve better energy density while maintaining rapid
> charge/discharge.

A high-density capacitor in parallel with the battery; the battery
is current-limited, while the capacitor has limited energy storage
but can provide very high current for a short time. Each complements
the other's shortcomings, to a point, of course. The Li-ion capacitor
sounds like a slightly exotic variation on an ordinary electrolytic
capacitor and can provide higher voltages than a carbon supercapacitor.

The overall design sounds a bit busy and more expensive, but apparently
provides more power for tradionally anemic hybrid vehicles.

--Damon

Hugo Schmeisser September 23rd 05 10:55 AM

wrote:

> I was trying to get a better perspective on 2 technologies mentioned
> in this article:

http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=2028

> Firstly it mentions Turbo Parallel Hybrid, and nextly it mentions
> Lithium-ion capacitor.
>
> Sorry to be dense, but I had a little trouble understanding what they
> wrote.
> What exactly is the Miller Cycle used by this engine setup? I know
> what the Otto Cycle and Diesel cycle are, but I've never heard of the
> Miller cycle.

Very first hit in Google:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question132.htm