AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tming belt replacement on 99 626 4cyl (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20179)

Jason August 30th 04 04:30 PM

Tming belt replacement on 99 626 4cyl

Sorry if this is out of place, I could not find another Mazda group.

I need to change the timing belt on my 99 626 4 cyl (80,000 miles).

I am pretty decent at working on cars, I can do brake work (disks and
drums) I always change my own oil, I have attempted a timing belt
replacement on an 84 Toyota pickup before with little success (I did not
keep adequate track of bolt locations.) I have replaced the clutch on a
95 Tacoma 4x4.

Is this engine difficult to service? I mean I can save 200 or more
dollars if I can do it myself.

I assume I will need to extract the engine, or can it be done with the
engine in place. What about water pumps, etc? I mean, should I just
cough up the extra cash and hire a shop to do it (part of the problem is
I dont trust shops).

TIA all!

Jason August 30th 04 08:08 PM

Col: wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:30:00 -0500, Jason > wrote:
>

>>Sorry if this is out of place, I could not find another Mazda group.
>>
>>I need to change the timing belt on my 99 626 4 cyl (80,000 miles).
>>
>>I am pretty decent at working on cars, I can do brake work (disks and
>>drums) I always change my own oil, I have attempted a timing belt
>>replacement on an 84 Toyota pickup before with little success (I did not
>>keep adequate track of bolt locations.) I have replaced the clutch on a
>>95 Tacoma 4x4.
>>
>>Is this engine difficult to service? I mean I can save 200 or more
>>dollars if I can do it myself.
>>
>>I assume I will need to extract the engine, or can it be done with the
>>engine in place. What about water pumps, etc? I mean, should I just
>>cough up the extra cash and hire a shop to do it (part of the problem is
>>I dont trust shops).
>>
>>TIA all!

> Personally if I had a choice I wouldn't let you even get near to a bicycle .

Great thanks for your help.