AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   hI aLL! what lateral g-force can old cars achieve? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=444975)

longtrennguoi May 22nd 20 07:13 PM

hI aLL! what lateral g-force can old cars achieve?

A modern vanilla sedan can do 0.9 g, maybe more with good tyres.
I saw a video on Youtube of some guy fitting a triangulated 4-link
suspension
to some chrome-bumper car, and managed to get 0.52 g on cornering,
which seems rather poor. Must have had sh*t tyres. Sorry, I haven't
been
able to find it again to get the details.

Scott Dorsey May 23rd 20 12:10 AM

longtrennguoi > wrote:
>A modern vanilla sedan can do 0.9 g, maybe more with good tyres.

Oh, you should be able to get it to do about 50g if you T-bone it at
highway speed.
--scott

Xeno May 23rd 20 05:25 AM

On 23/5/20 4:13 am, longtrennguoi wrote:
> A modern vanilla sedan can do 0.9 g, maybe more with good tyres.
> I saw a video on Youtube of some guy fitting a triangulated 4-link
> suspension
> to some chrome-bumper car, and managed to get 0.52 g on cornering,
> which seems rather poor. Must have had sh*t tyres. Sorry, I haven't
> been
> able to find it again to get the details.

Depending on the type of tyres, 0.7g really pulls it up. At 0.75g, with
balanced slip angles, you're into a 4 wheel slide. Look into slip angles
for answers to your question. The tyre is, in most instances, the
primary determinant. The cornering force developed by a tyre in any
scenario depends on slip angle, load, inflation pressure, camber angle,
drive forces and braking forces.

Modern cars have very much improved tyres and suspension handling
dynamics but I very much doubt you'll be getting 0.9g with *any* modern
vanilla sedan because - physics.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)