AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   dual hitch adapter on a 1 1/4" hitch receiver with converter possible? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=178822)

markm75 July 30th 07 02:55 PM

dual hitch adapter on a 1 1/4" hitch receiver with converter possible?

I am wondering if the following is possible/safe to do:

I was thinking of getting this 2" dual receiver adapter to put on my 1
1/4" hitch (on a 99 grandprix gt)...

This is the 2" dual adapter:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=14726

Obviously to make this work I need the 1 1/4" to 2" adapter as well:
http://www.cargogear.com/oneiteminfo...artnum=SW64003

I would use that combo with these two:

Bike rack: Allen Deluxe 4 bike
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews

and this cargo carrier:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=31580

Any thoughts on the ability of the hitch itself to handle this load,
with 4 bikes and some luggage on the luggage rack, obviously my car
would need to be able to handle the load, I'm guessing it may kill a
bit of gas mileage too.. perhaps not the best combo, at least for this
vehicle..

(the hitch on my car is rated at 350 lbs of downward force, 3500 class
II loads overall).

[email protected] August 22nd 07 07:21 PM

On Jul 30, 8:55 am, markm75 > wrote:
> I am wondering if the following is possible/safe to do:
>
> I was thinking of getting this 2" dual receiver adapter to put on my 1
> 1/4" hitch (on a 99 grandprix gt)...
>
> This is the 2" dual adapter:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jsp;jsessionid...
>
> Obviously to make this work I need the 1 1/4" to 2" adapter as well:http://www.cargogear.com/oneiteminfo...artnum=SW64003
>
> I would use that combo with these two:
>
> Bike rack: Allen Deluxe 4 bikehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000LHP1VA/sr=8-1/q...
>
> and this cargo carrier:
>
> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jsp;jsessionid...
>
> Any thoughts on the ability of the hitch itself to handle this load,
> with 4 bikes and some luggage on the luggage rack, obviously my car
> would need to be able to handle the load, I'm guessing it may kill a
> bit of gas mileage too.. perhaps not the best combo, at least for this
> vehicle..
>
> (the hitch on my car is rated at 350 lbs of downward force, 3500 class
> II loads overall).

I've been thinking about the same thing. I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my
HHR, and I have a need to pull a trailer and use my bike rack. I have
looked everywhere for a dual 1 1/4" hitch receiver. I'm worried about
the fact that if I use the 2" version and use all the adapters to make
1 1/4" work, it will extend my ball too far out, torquing the hitch
installed on my car.