AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Changing Brakes and Disc on a ** Honda Civic 98 Hatchback DX** (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11124)

Jason October 22nd 04 10:20 PM

Changing Brakes and Disc on a ** Honda Civic 98 Hatchback DX**

Hello,

Would like some advice regarding the eventual replacement of my used up disc
pads and disc *front*.

I heard that it's better to have first quality as for the brake pads
themselves (ceramic composition) and on the disc it's possible to use a
lower 2nd grade type disc....

Thanks!!

Jason

John Ings October 23rd 04 02:05 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:20:55 -0400, "Jason" >
wrote:

>Would like some advice regarding the eventual replacement of my used up disc
>pads and disc *front*.
>
>I heard that it's better to have first quality as for the brake pads
>themselves (ceramic composition) and on the disc it's possible to use a
>lower 2nd grade type disc....

I always use OEM pads.

Bror Jace October 24th 04 06:57 PM

"Jason" > wrote:
> I heard that it's better to have first quality as for the brake pads
> themselves (ceramic composition) and on the disc it's possible to use a
> lower 2nd grade type disc....

If it's an automatic, I'd use top-grade brake parts. Rotor warping is
not uncommon.

If you search places like manhonda.com and others, you'll find
reasonable prices on OEM rotors. I've heard as low as $30-40 per
rotor for older Civics.

When it comes to pads, I like OEM as well ... just don't go with cheap
aftermarket parts. You'll get fade, poor wear rates, gobs of dust,
etc ... Go with a high performance upgrade pad ... but NOT a full
race pad which will perform poorly at cooler temps.

--- Bror Jace