AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=336971)

Matt[_11_] September 11th 09 04:32 PM

Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue!

All,

I have a current stalling/starting problem with my '86 5000 TQ.

-Starting: Sometimes if I release the key before the motor starts
(generaly fires in 3-4 seconds of cranking), I have to wait ~5 min
before making another attempt. If I attempt to start before ~5 mins,
engine will maybe 'pop', but will simply crank (as if no fuel in the
system.) Happens mostly COLD, sometimes WARM.

-Stalling: Earlier this week, stalled out in an intersection (WARM
engine). Same as above, had to wait ~5 mins then restarted.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_] September 12th 09 04:28 AM

Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue!

ign switch?
loose intake boots?
residual fuel pressure leaking down too fast!

TonyJ[_3_] September 13th 09 04:59 PM

Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue!

Or leaking injectors causing flooding. Try a bottle of Techron injector
cleaner.

mike_n September 13th 09 06:34 PM

On Sep 11, 11:32*am, Matt > wrote:
> All,
>
> * * * *I have a current stalling/starting problem with my '86 5000 TQ.
>
> -Starting: *Sometimes if I release the key before the motor starts
> (generaly fires in 3-4 seconds of cranking), I have to wait ~5 min
> before making another attempt. *If I attempt to start before ~5 mins,
> engine will maybe 'pop', but will simply crank (as if no fuel in the
> system.) *Happens mostly COLD, sometimes WARM.
>
> -Stalling: *Earlier this week, stalled out in an intersection (WARM
> engine). *Same as above, had to wait ~5 mins then restarted.
>
> Any thoughts? *Thanks!

i had a 200 quatro with the same symptom. it turned out to be a hole
worn into the underside (hard to see) of a 2" rubber hose leading from
the top front of the engine compartment to the air intake. i think
what was happening was that the computer was compensating for the hole
at times (after you got it running) but then had difficulty
maintaining the right settings at other times (slowing down comming
off the highway)

hope this helps - it was a bear to figure out

ovalking September 15th 09 08:47 PM

Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue!

In article
writes:
> I have a current stalling/starting problem with my '86 5000 TQ

Fuel pump relay?

Quite easy to eliminate by replacing it with a jumper wire (across the 2
large terminals). For safety reasons do not leave the jumper wire in
place as the fuel pump will be running all the time it is there.

G.

TonyJ[_3_] September 17th 09 04:59 AM

Audi 5000CS Quattro Turbo - Stalling issue!

The fuel pump normally runs constantly when the engine is running and it
will still shut off when the ignition is turned off.

The risk is that in an accident the key will be on and the engine
stopped and with the possibility of leaking fuel there is the potential
for a fire that will continue to be fed. Not a good idea but the test is
still valid to see if the relay is the problem,

The issue could be a number of things but vacuum leaks, fuel pressure
issues an ignition problem due to hall effect module on distributor are
places I could check.

Replace fuel filter, Clogged screen on the fuel pump, injector issues,
sticking air flow plate in intake box, plugs / wires ...