AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Brake problem and possible solution (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=361556)

Tuomas September 21st 10 10:07 AM

Brake problem and possible solution

Hello!

T34 has been sitting a long time (no-one knows how long) and its brakes
stick if I brake, at three wheels: Left front wheel brake works as it should.

If I open the bleed screw of a stuck brake, it expels a bit of brake fluid
and then the wheel spins again, i.e.. the brake itself works and I can drive
it if I don't brake. :)

Old Beetle owners like me know that especially rear brake hoses are famous
of breaking in such a way it forms a one-way valve and thus sticking the
brakes every time you brake, so I bought new hoses. I didn't buy new ones to
front at the same and that was a mistake. Oh well, yet another visit to
local VW shop. (They know me by name there already. :) "Hello Thomas, what
may we sell you today?" )

Haven't had time to replace those yet, but I can't imagine what else it
could be as the 4th wheel works: If all four were stuck, then it would point
to brake master cylinder or pipes.

I've also new handbrake cables, I'll change those at the same time I replace
the hoses.

I dismantled and cleaned carburettors and now I have (a bit rough) idle and
charging appeared when I installed springs for the carbon bits (what are the
called?) as they were MIA.

Some almost new pictures (added at 5th of September) at the picture page:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2

Speedy Jim[_2_] September 21st 10 04:06 PM

On 9/21/2010 5:07 AM, Tuomas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> T34 has been sitting a long time (no-one knows how long) and its brakes stick if I brake, at
> three wheels: Left front wheel brake works as it should.
>
> If I open the bleed screw of a stuck brake, it expels a bit of brake fluid and then the wheel
> spins again, i.e.. the brake itself works and I can drive it if I don't brake. :)
>
> Old Beetle owners like me know that especially rear brake hoses are famous of breaking in such
> a way it forms a one-way valve and thus sticking the brakes every time you brake, so I bought
> new hoses. I didn't buy new ones to front at the same and that was a mistake. Oh well, yet
> another visit to local VW shop. (They know me by name there already. :) "Hello Thomas, what
> may we sell you today?" )
>
> Haven't had time to replace those yet, but I can't imagine what else it could be as the 4th
> wheel works: If all four were stuck, then it would point to brake master cylinder or pipes.
>
> I've also new handbrake cables, I'll change those at the same time I replace the hoses.
>
> I dismantled and cleaned carburettors and now I have (a bit rough) idle and charging appeared
> when I installed springs for the carbon bits (what are the called?) as they were MIA.
>
> Some almost new pictures (added at 5th of September) at the picture page:
> http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/

What a lovely find! Congratulations!

Yes, new brake hoses should solve the stuck brake problem.

In English, the "carbon bits" are called brush(es).
I would guess the name comes from the fact that the carbon "brushes"
against the revolving commutator.

A very early large dynamo with multiple "brushes" is shown he
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ted_Dynamo.jpg

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Tuomas September 22nd 10 08:11 AM

On 21/09/10 18:06, Speedy Jim wrote:

> What a lovely find! Congratulations!

I've written some history of buy earlier but it was for sale in Germany at
mobile.de and I found it from there.

> Yes, new brake hoses should solve the stuck brake problem.
>
> In English, the "carbon bits" are called brush(es).
> I would guess the name comes from the fact that the carbon "brushes"
> against the revolving commutator.

Brush, yes. I should have remembered that.

It was raining yesterday and I had opportunity to wash the car and take some
more photos as the water does wonders to old paint, it looks almost good in
this photo. :)

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/IMG_0317.jpg

Sections that are dry look as bas as in earlier photos and I see that I left
an unwashed area in the middle, it was a kind of hard to see in the dark.

Anyway, it looks much like a paint that can be ground and polished, there's
enough thickness in paint.

(I know, maybe I've been drooling too many detailing pages, like
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=183155
:)

Absolutely stunning anyway. )

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2