AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=374707)

[email protected] October 8th 12 12:55 AM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch!

Is there a way to have the cigarette lighter supply voltage at all
times, without splicing into a hot wire. I need to have the GPS
recharge while the ignition is turned off. The vehicle is a 2004 Town
and Country. Many thanks

Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] October 8th 12 02:45 PM

On 10/07/12 07:55 pm, wrote:

> Is there a way to have the cigarette lighter supply voltage at all
> times, without splicing into a hot wire. I need to have the GPS
> recharge while the ignition is turned off. The vehicle is a 2004 Town
> and Country. Many thanks

On our '02 300M there is a fuse that can be inserted in either of two
slots to select whether the cigarette lighter socket stays live or
depends on the ignition switch position. Check your owner's manual for a
similar option.

Perce

[email protected] October 9th 12 01:09 AM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch!

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 09:45:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>On 10/07/12 07:55 pm, wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have the cigarette lighter supply voltage at all
>> times, without splicing into a hot wire. I need to have the GPS
>> recharge while the ignition is turned off. The vehicle is a 2004 Town
>> and Country. Many thanks

>On our '02 300M there is a fuse that can be inserted in either of two
>slots to select whether the cigarette lighter socket stays live or
>depends on the ignition switch position. Check your owner's manual for a
>similar option.
>
>Perce

Many thanks, will check user manual and wiring diagram.

Everett

[email protected] October 11th 12 10:36 PM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch!Still need help!

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 09:45:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>On 10/07/12 07:55 pm, wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have the cigarette lighter supply voltage at all
>> times, without splicing into a hot wire. I need to have the GPS
>> recharge while the ignition is turned off. The vehicle is a 2004 Town
>> and Country. Many thanks

>On our '02 300M there is a fuse that can be inserted in either of two
>slots to select whether the cigarette lighter socket stays live or
>depends on the ignition switch position. Check your owner's manual for a
>similar option.
>
>Perce

The solution about did not solve the problem. The only thing in the
manual suggest that the dealer can accomplish making it stay on when
the ignition is turned off. I searched the Internet and tried to find
the fix on a Chrysler 2004 service disk I purchased on ebay.

Thanks in advance, Everett.

Mike October 12th 12 07:17 AM

wrote:

>>> Is there a way to have the cigarette lighter supply voltage at all
>>> times, without splicing into a hot wire. I need to have the GPS
>>> recharge while the ignition is turned off. The vehicle is a 2004
>>> Town and Country. Many thanks

>> On our '02 300M there is a fuse that can be inserted in either of two
>> slots to select whether the cigarette lighter socket stays live or
>> depends on the ignition switch position. Check your owner's manual
>> for a similar option.
>>
>> Perce

> The solution about did not solve the problem. The only thing in the
> manual suggest that the dealer can accomplish making it stay on when
> the ignition is turned off. I searched the Internet and tried to find
> the fix on a Chrysler 2004 service disk I purchased on ebay.
>
> Thanks in advance, Everett.

This is from the 2004 Town an Country owners manual:

ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS - IF EQUIPPED

To the left of the instrument panel cup holder are two 12

volt power outlets. The upper outlet is controlled by the

ignition switch and the lower outlet is connected directly

to the battery. The upper outlet will also operate a

conventional cigar lighter unit (if equipped with an

optional Smoker's Package).

A third outlet is located on the driver's side, just to the

rear of the sliding door and is also controlled by the

ignition switch. The lower and rear outlets will not

accommodate a conventional cigar lighter unit.

[email protected] October 12th 12 03:26 PM

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 02:17:07 -0400, "Mike" > wrote:

wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 09:45:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
>> > wrote:

>>> On our '02 300M there is a fuse that can be inserted in either of two
>>> slots to select whether the cigarette lighter socket stays live or
>>> depends on the ignition switch position. Check your owner's manual
>>> for a similar option.
>>>
>>> Perce

>> The solution about did not solve the problem. The only thing in the
>> manual suggest that the dealer can accomplish making it stay on when
>> the ignition is turned off. I searched the Internet and tried to find
>> the fix on a Chrysler 2004 service disk I purchased on ebay.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Everett.

> This is from the 2004 Town an Country owners manual:
>

>ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS - IF EQUIPPED
>
>To the left of the instrument panel cup holder are two 12
>
>volt power outlets. The upper outlet is controlled by the
>
>ignition switch and the lower outlet is connected directly
>
>to the battery. The upper outlet will also operate a
>
>conventional cigar lighter unit (if equipped with an
>
>optional Smoker's Package).
>
>A third outlet is located on the driver's side, just to the
>
>rear of the sliding door and is also controlled by the
>
>ignition switch. The lower and rear outlets will not
>
>accommodate a conventional cigar lighter unit.

I only have one on the dash and it is switched off with the ignition
switch. I have not located a second connector that is hot. Guess I
could splice into a hot wire, but would like to do it by the book if
possible. It said in my owners manual that Chrysler could convert it
to be hot all the time, but who wants to pay for what should be a
simple task. many thanks, Everett

rob October 13th 12 04:14 AM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch!Still need help!

check your owners manual for any information. sometimes they put in a slot
for an additional fuse in the fuse block under the hood.

News October 13th 12 12:25 PM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch!Stillneed help!

Since we're top-posting...

On the '96-00, always-on 12V dash outlet is facilitated by installing a
"module" in the engine relay/fuse block.

Internally, it's nothing but a jumper wire.

Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] October 13th 12 03:03 PM

On 10/12/12 10:26 am, wrote:

> I only have one on the dash and it is switched off with the ignition
> switch. I have not located a second connector that is hot. Guess I
> could splice into a hot wire, but would like to do it by the book if
> possible. It said in my owners manual that Chrysler could convert it
> to be hot all the time, but who wants to pay for what should be a
> simple task. many thanks, Everett

What is needed may be a simple programming change, a 2-minute job that
the dealer might do for no extra charge when they have it in for regular
service anyway. I think that having our '96 Stratus's doors lock
automatically at 15mph was such a programming change that the dealer did
free of charge.

Perce

[email protected] October 17th 12 04:51 AM

Need cigarette lighter not to go off with the ignition switch! Solved part!

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:03:08 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>On 10/12/12 10:26 am, wrote:
>
>> I only have one on the dash and it is switched off with the ignition
>> switch. I have not located a second connector that is hot. Guess I
>> could splice into a hot wire, but would like to do it by the book if
>> possible. It said in my owners manual that Chrysler could convert it
>> to be hot all the time, but who wants to pay for what should be a
>> simple task. many thanks, Everett

>What is needed may be a simple programming change, a 2-minute job that
>the dealer might do for no extra charge when they have it in for regular
>service anyway. I think that having our '96 Stratus's doors lock
>automatically at 15mph was such a programming change that the dealer did
>free of charge.
>
>Perce

I was able to find something that was able to make the rear seat
outlet on with the ignition off, but the front outlet is still
controlled by the ignition. I was told earlier by someone here that
there was a setting in the fuse panel to make the outlet on with the
ignition off, but it was in his earlier users manual. I found
reference to changing the fuse position that is located in the upper
right, with reference (ign or bat). You just unplug the fuse that is
in the ign position and plug it into the batt position. I am still
trying to convert the front outlet or find how to install the missing
cigarette lighter.