AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=354629)

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 4th 10 08:16 AM

iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

That's 9000 who participated in at least one race in one series. What it tells us
about the overall state of play with so many dead series is a different matter.

Growth does seem to be steady and fairly linear though, and the graph Darren Marsh
posted in the New Drivers thread does have enough data to be statistically
significant. At this rate another 18 months should see it hit 20,000 members and
perhaps enough critcal mass to sustain most of the existing content.

Of course by then we'll have approximately three cars car and seven tracks per
driver*, so average race participation might be somewhat lower. ;-)

Andrew McP

*warning, post may contain mild exaggeration

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 4th 10 08:18 AM

iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

PS. I can spell active if I have to.

gumby patrol June 5th 10 11:20 PM

On 04/06/2010 12:16 AM, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> That's 9000 who participated in at least one race in one series. What it tells us
> about the overall state of play with so many dead series is a different matter.
>
> Growth does seem to be steady and fairly linear though, and the graph Darren Marsh
> posted in the New Drivers thread does have enough data to be statistically
> significant. At this rate another 18 months should see it hit 20,000 members and
> perhaps enough critcal mass to sustain most of the existing content.

Nah, I bet they have pretty well maxed their user base by now and you
won't ever see much over 9000.

Byron Forbes June 6th 10 02:44 AM

iRacing hits 9000 active drivers in May

"gumby patrol" > wrote in message
> On 04/06/2010 12:16 AM, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> That's 9000 who participated in at least one race in one series. What it
>> tells us
>> about the overall state of play with so many dead series is a different
>> matter.
>>
>> Growth does seem to be steady and fairly linear though, and the graph
>> Darren Marsh
>> posted in the New Drivers thread does have enough data to be
>> statistically
>> significant. At this rate another 18 months should see it hit 20,000
>> members and
>> perhaps enough critcal mass to sustain most of the existing content.

> Nah, I bet they have pretty well maxed their user base by now and you
> won't ever see much over 9000.

Any more posts like that and I'll probably be happy if they close
UseNet.

rcgldr[_2_] June 7th 10 06:48 AM

iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

> That's 9000 who participated in at least one race in one series. What it tells us
> about the overall state of play with so many dead series is a different matter.

I thought they had exceeded 10,000 in the past, at least in the oval series,
with something like 14,000 total accounts.

jelloshooter69 June 7th 10 12:08 PM

On Jun 7, 1:48*am, "rcgldr" > wrote:
> > That's 9000 who participated in at least one race in one series. What it tells us
> > about the overall state of play with so many dead series is a different matter.

> I thought they had exceeded 10,000 in the past, at least in the oval series,
> with something like 14,000 total accounts.

smoke and mirrors - objects look better than they really are in
mirror.

rcgldr[_2_] June 7th 10 05:00 PM

iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

> smoke and mirrors
> objects look better than they really are in mirror.

I've notice some of the mirrors on sports cars state

"objects in mirrors are losing"

APLer June 8th 10 12:58 AM

"rcgldr" > wrote in :

>> smoke and mirrors
>> objects look better than they really are in mirror.

> I've notice some of the mirrors on sports cars state
>
> "objects in mirrors are losing"

I can't help but be reminded of that scene in "Le Mans" where the Ferrari
driver keeps looking in his mirror on the Mulsanne straight. Nothing like
two 911 engines welded together <g>.

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 8th 10 08:35 AM

iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

> Nah, I bet they have pretty well maxed their user base by now and
> you won't ever see much over 9000.

Well, the weekly stats (which I hadn't noticed) show that the average week has
about 6000-7000 racers now. The trend is upwards, but only slowly. That's hardly
surprising really.

You do see quite a few people posting now who have never simmed before, and it may
well be that -- in time -- iRacing will succeed in their (very) long term goal of
using the old school simming population as a springboard to reach the great
unwashed masses* who didn't realise what was possible.

It remains an intriguing, though often still very frustrating, project to be a tiny
part of. If only my weak-willed credit card bill was equally tiny! :-)

Andrew McP

*masses being a relative term, positioned somewhere between 'not too many' and
'quite a few'.

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 8th 10 08:54 AM

(rcgldr) wrote:

> I thought they had exceeded 10,000 in the past, at least in the
> oval series, with something like 14,000 total accounts.

There are definitely over 20,000 accounts (including people who have more than one,
staff, etc). It might be nearer to 30k by now. But there are all sorts of stats
(though not enough now Darren doesn't do his amazingly comprehensive report every
week) and I think the stats you're thinking of were for total drivers participating
(at least once) over a 12 week season.

Andrew McP